Are you, or your children, now getting beyond the age for Sunday School?
Do you, or they, simply want share in our worship in a practical way?
Our altar servers are a really diverse group: ranging from 8 to 80 years of age, and including both boys and girls, men and women. There are no barriers or conditions to being a server, it is open to all who want to take an active role in our worship.
And it is a wonderful thing to be involved in, because it not only helps to make our worship more beautiful and engaging for everyone’s senses, but it also allows you to get right up close to the mysteries of the Christian faith that we celebrate, helping you to discover and delight in God’s presence among us.
There are a lot of different roles for an altar server, some of which include being:
– the ‘Crucifer’, who carries the Crucifix used in the processions during worship.
– an ‘Acolyte’, who carriers one of the candles during the processions.
– the ‘Thurifer’, who carriers and looks after the ‘thurible’ or incense burner.
– the ‘Boat person’, who carries the ‘boat’ or precious container for the incense.
– the ‘Master of Ceremonies’, who helps to co-ordinate all the other servers and the priest who leads the community in worship.
If you are interested in becoming a member of the ‘Altar Servers’ then just speak to one of the clergy, and they will be happy to point you in the right direction.
Here are some photos of our Altar Servers in action, at some of the larger services that have taken place recently: